Visa and Immigration Procedures

Study Japanese in Japan

Start studying from Jul 01, 2024 | Deadline to enroll: Mar 05, 2024

More Information & How to get Started

Visa and Immigration Procedures
Can I Bring a Dependent on a Japanese Language School Student Visa?
August 9, 2023

No. Language schools are not considered higher education. Thus, students at Japanese language schools are not eligible to bring dependents (e.g., family members, children, a spouse) into Japan under the dependent visa. There is no exception to this rule. 

If your dependents come from a country with a 90-day temporary visa exemption agreement with Japan, they can visit you temporarily as tourists. Your spouse can also become a student or seek employment with visa sponsorship. 

Immigration only grants dependent visas to children if their parent’s visa allows them to apply. Your child’s school might support an exchange program with a school in Japan to set up a visa or a private international school may consider sponsoring them, but these scenarios are very unlikely.

Previous FAQ
Please enable javascript in order to inquiry GaijinPot Study.